8.11.2006
Love, True Love
What is true love? And I don't mean love from God, because I know that is the purest, truest form. But love we have for one another - when is it true? Is it when you can't wait to hear from that person, or when you can't imagine your life w/out him or her in it? Or when you put his or her wants and needs above yours and everyone else's (and not in a detrimental way, of course). And can you have true love if it isn't reciprocated? Is unrequited love true? I know that when I love someone, truly and completely, it consumes me. And I don't just mean romantic love - I feel that way about my friends and family, too. A co-worker and I were discussing this morning how our pasts shape our feelings now for men, and it's difficult to let go of the past. But we also are not the type of women who give in or give up things - we know what we want, just don't know how to get it. So, if we pretend to be something we're not - needy or weak, let's say - then are we really able to be truly in love, and more importantly, truly loved BACK? I sometimes wonder why guys can talk to you about how they can't find a nice girl, a sane girl, a fun girl, etc. when they are looking right at you. Do I set myself up to be the 'eternal friend' to guys I meet because of the way I am? I like who I am - I do think I'm a catch and I'm decent-looking and I'm fun, I just don't think other people see that in me because I'm so nice and friendly and not looking for a hook-up. I have been in love, more times than I'd like to admit, and sometimes it's very one-sided, but it's still been true in my eyes and in my heart. I also hide things well, but it's that fear of being hurt that seems to keep my barriers up, but I don't mind admitting to those I care about when I'm feeling sad or upset. I just wish I knew the magic to it - I seem to be surrounded by people so happy in love, and I'm happy for them, but I'd like to be able to have that again. Or did I ever have it? I look back at the relationships I've had, the guys I've loved (and still love to some degree) and I try to analyze what went wrong. Maybe I'm destined to be alone - it's not a bad thing, just something I may have to accept. I know I have a lot of love to give someone, but it seems lately the ones I want to give it to are not receptive to it, and it's frustrating. I know I'm rambling - maybe I'm just tired. :-) Or maybe the reason these thoughts are swirling in my head is because I'm less than a month away from becoming an old maid at 35. To quote Carrie Bradshaw from Sex & the City, "I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love." Hey, she and Big did eventually wind up together after six years of going back and forth, and she was 38! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Maybe you're looking in all the wrong places?? I hate to see you lonely. You doing ok?
Thanks Margo, again, for being so sweet and supportive. I'm doing well - I do like my life and am okay with it, just sometimes feel unwanted. Today was one of those days, but I'm doing better. :-) Thanks!
Post a Comment