8.31.2006

Quoting Sex & the City

So, I love reruns of Sex & the City. I admit that it's one of my guilty pleasures in life. The show makes me laugh, cry, gasp and nod my head in agreement countless times. And I never tire of the episodes, no matter how many times I see them.

So, I was emailing a friend the other day and we were talking about love, true love. I know in my heart of hearts that Curtis, my last ex, was probably the love of my life. Not because he was some great catch, and not because I started romanticizing our relationship, but because we always seemed to "get" each other even if we were arguing over the fact we weren't really on the same page about stuff. And I'm not sitting idly by, pining away for his inevitable call, but I do wonder what my life would be like today if I had moved to Michigan a few years ago to be with him. I couldn't have helped my oldest niece so much when her husband was dying. I wouldn't be able to care for my mom so much (maybe not a bad thing). I would have probably lost touch with a few of my friends here. I probably wouldn't be the healthier, both mentally and physically, person I am today. But if it weren't for the trials and tribulations I endured with him, I wouldn't have found myself, of that I'm sure.

So to quote Carrie Bradshaw from Sex & the City, ". . . I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous." I'm looking for that - the one who makes me laugh, who gets me, who makes me feel kinda smart and very sexy, who wants to explore new things with me but will also enjoy the tried and true, and most importantly, the one who makes me a better me and likes me just the way I am. And I'm definitely on the road to having that relationship with myself, which is key to everything I want in life.

No comments: