8.28.2006

Life is a Stage

So, when I was in high school I was a Drama Club geek. My thespian days are far behind me, but I still feel that I am in a play, my life, at times, and that my 'troupe' of friends are playing different roles. For example, I have friends who really work with me, who are not supporting actors but are the ones who share top-billing with me - we thrive off each other and we complement each other so well that we'd not really be able to 'star' alone. Then there are those few friends who are supported solely by me - I stand in the wings, feeding them lines and making sure they look perfect, and when it's all over, they take their bows and go off to celebrate their victories without a thought of me. I then go on stage alone, struggling to remember my own lines because I was so preoccupied with theirs, and I have only myself. Of course, those friends that support me hurry into the wings and help me out, but not before I have been sweating bullets, stressing intensely over the fact everyone is watching me and expecting me to be perfect. They laugh if I fumble with one line, and I hate to have anyone laugh at me unless I'm purposely trying to be funny. So, I worry, I panic, I freak out - then before I have a meltdown on stage, those amazing co-stars come along and save me - they sometimes even come onto stage with me and improvise lines to make it look as if I'm supposed to be having a breakdown!
I'm glad I am still able to be that supportive 'behind the scenes' gal with no ill feelings because I know those stars, even if they don't realize it, need me and will someday, hopefully, turn to the darkened wings and ask me to come out on stage with them and thank me. And even if that never happens, I will always have my own co-stars to share the limelight with at times, which makes all the difference.

3 comments:

Margo said...

Wow! Very well written, Lori!!

I was a drama geek too!! I loved it so much and miss those days on stage!

GRITS said...

Thanks, Margo! Yeah, me, too - life was simple then, wasn't it?

Margo said...

Simple and fun, yes indeed.