In our small office, the secretary sits about 2 feet from me. My "office" consists of two large cubicle layouts that keep me fairly well hidden from outsiders, but I can hear all the goings-on that occur at the reception desk where the secretary sits. Today, her entire day has consisted of phone calls to her daughter and her husband to discuss her daughter's freshman college courses. THE ENTIRE DAY. She went online, picked out some courses for her daughter, and has proceeded to discuss them with both the daughter and the husband. ALL DAY. Did I mention that? Now, I understand the need to talk to your family. And I'm sure it's stressful for her to know her daughter may not pick out the best courses for herself at Bucknell. But c'mon - this woman coddles her kids more than anyone I've ever met. She has two daughters, both in college, and they attended private boarding school as well when they were in high school. Yet they have not one independent bone in their bodies. They call her all the time and she does EVERYTHING for them. I know it's good she is there for them because trust me, after doing everything on my own for so many years, it might have been nice to have someone make one decision for me once in awhile, but this is ridiculous. I am not kidding - she has spent HOURS on the phone with them today. Wait, there is silence . . . let's hope it continues!
(No such luck - she's leaving the girl a message about yet another class she looked up for her - AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That's so funny, Lori!! Hang in there!
Yeah, funny to YOU - come sit at my desk! :-)
Where was my mom when I was picking out my college courses?....oh I remember...minding her own business and letting me spread my own wings...
Comic Relief:
Mother Harper to her moocher son Vint..
"Vint, have you ever seen the National Geographic specials about mothers in the wild with thier young?"
"Yes."
"You remember the one with the mama bird and her baby birds? How she took care of them and protected them until they were old enough to survive on their own. Then when they were ready, she would give them a little nudge out of the nest?"
"Yeah, mama.."
"and how the ones that were ready would fly away, and never look back, and those that couldn't fly...?"
"What are you saying, mama?"
**points stern finger**
"Don't climb a tree with me, Vint."
This is probably not word for word, but really close. Hope it makes you feel a little better.
I like that, Helen! Thanks!
And yes, my mom was minding her own business, too, even though she is a world-class meddler STILL.
And I wish I could fire her - unfortunately, she doesn't report to me because my crazy boss LOVES her. Figure this one out - he yells at a co-worker for going on the internet after he has all his work done yet doesn't say a word to this one here about all her phone calls. Crazy office politics . .
Post a Comment