8.05.2006

Do you have one person in your life who drives you insane?

I do. Her name is Diane. She is the person who truly makes me crazy. She IM'ed me on Friday and was all pissed off because I couldn't talk to her (she had also called me). News Flash: I WAS AT WORK. I can't take time to talk to her during the day just because it's convenient for her. I told her to call me Sunday night after I got off work at BB&B - she said she had a shower to attend. Okay, so I'm sorry I can't work with YOUR schedule, I told her, but I have to work. She is mad because I'm working at BB&B instead of selling Mary Kay, as I used to, for her. Well, selling Mary Kay requires me to buy product UP FRONT - I don't have the money to do that anymore. I am doing everything I can to get out of debt and get in a comfortable financial place. I like Mary Kay, will still use it, but can't sell it anymore. But if she were my FRIEND she would understand that. So, the only times she has called me over the last few months was to leave me a voicemail message CONGRATULATING me for getting a new car and then she sent a Mary Kay "Look Book" to me at work and wrote a note on it saying if I needed anything to let her know. Um, I have TONS of Mary Kay product at home and I would have appreciated a phone call from her when I TOTALED my other car, not once I finally got another one. I feel like when my former friend moved to DC, Diane and I lost ground as friends, if we were ever friends, because anytime I would mention that mutual friend she would turn right around and call HER. I didn't need anymore angst or frustration between us, so I avoided Diane for that reason. Then, it became evident she was only interested in my Mary Kay business, so I was honest and said I wouldn't be doing it anymore and said if I needed help, I'd let her know. I didn't - I took care of my customers and had nothing that she needed to do. But yet now SHE is mad - go figure. I feel like I should write a letter to her and just explain what went wrong, (I also feel that way at times about other people that used to be in my life) but I doubt it will get through to her or even be worth my time.

I can't wait to get another job so I can avoid her all together (she is married to one of my co-workers) - I think I'll be drinking A LOT at the company picnic next week just to get through it!

4 comments:

TrophyWife said...

DON'T write her a letter. Insane people (or whatever their personality disorder is) can NOT be reasoned with. All it will do is continue a conversational cycle that already has you wanting to strangle her.

Cut your losses. Move forward, embracing the many wonderful changes you've made in and with your life.

Remember that t-shirt I saw? It said "It's not me -- it's YOU." Once I began adopting this mantra, it reduced quite a bit of anxiety I used to have about figuring people out. Plus, I found that I suddenly had a lot more free time on my hands (instead of spending it trying to analyze/strategize how to deal with the many wackos I encounter on a daily basis).

You are FANTASTIC -- and looking darn good lately, too!

Margo said...

I know how frustrating this can be. I have "friends" like this too.

GRITS said...

I don't want to dislike her, just don't want to be her friend - sigh. I'm too nice, I think.

Margo said...

I have that "too nice" problem too. I understand. Maybe you can somehow just distance yourself with out having to hurt her feelings.