6.26.2006
Disappointments in Life
To disappoint is to to fail to satisfy the hope, desire, or expectation of; to frustrate or thwart. I am one of those people who gets disappointed pretty easily. I think I set very high expectations and assume other people will react as I would. Say, for instance, someone says they are going to hang out with you and then they don't. That disappoints me because it's not that I'm upset at that person for choosing to do something else, it just makes me feel as if I'm being treated indifferently. And I like to matter - who doesn't? I try to make a point NOT to disappoint other people, though I'm famous for disappointing my mother (she would be happiest if I spent every waking hour with her). But all those little disappointments in my life don't seem to even matter because I couldn't imagine dealing with one of the biggest disappointments for a woman - suffering a miscarriage. I think that would be disappointing on so many levels - you are disappointed in your body for failing you, in God for not allowing it to happen when you did everything right, in friends for not being supportive enough, in your partner because obviously he didn't do something right, in the pregnancy test for showing up positive, in yourself for worrying too much, in fate, in the stars, and in whatever else you can think of that might be at fault! I think a few years ago things might have been easier because you didn't really have an opportunity to know so early that you were pregnant, and some of that anxiety wasn't present. But now women can know within days of conception, practically, that they are expecting and what might have just been classified as a late period before is now known to be a miscarriage. I just wish I had words of wisdom for those women I know who have suffered through this . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment