7.24.2006

Generally Unhappy

So, I'm generally unhappy today. First, I woke up suffering from allergy symptoms (started Saturday) and I didn't sleep all that well as a result. Second, I had to go to my crappy job that I'm HATING these days. And third, I found out I had to give up a board seat I LOVE because it will cause a conflict of interest at my company.
Now, the reason I hate my job is because my sr. vp treats me, and everyone else, as if we are stupid. For instance, I was given a task to do on Thursday that was to be performed on Monday (today), and before I could even blink, my sr. vp had already taken it upon himself to do it. Now, I don't recall our pres. asking HIM to do it, but when he reported to our pres., he didn't stop him or say, "now wait, that's not your task!" I hate being undermined - makes me feel so insufficient and micromanaged, which I don't deserve. I do my job, and I do it well, if someone would give me half the chance to do it.
The board seat is just icing on the cake. I don't get to do much of my JOB at work, so I enjoy this board because I actually get to do the things I love - HR, recruiting, event planning. Now, I'm forced to give it all up for a job that doesn't even support me in my efforts so THEY don't look bad. I was told by my pres. that I gave them two years and that was a good effort and it looks good on my resume. I'm sorry, I don't do board work to pad my resume - I do it because I truly believe in the non-profit's mission. I was on two committees, co-chairing one, and I am the board secretary - tell me how I just walk away from that for the 'good of my company?' I don't get why I have to step down considering I'm not even an officer. My pres. told me it's because I'm a 'key employee' - wow, my pay really doesn't reflect that. Especially since I had to take a second job at Bed, Bath & Beyond because my current pay isn't enough.
And I'm such a happy person, usually, so this is why I'm hating life today. I can't feel happy. I'd love to meet a guy, but even dating vehicles such as match.com come with a fee, and with the 2nd job, I'll have even LESS time to meet people. And I'm not yet at the size I want to be and it's frustrating (even though I lost another pound this week), and even if I was at my goal size, I'd have no money to buy new clothes!
Okay, I will stop whining now. I know I'm lucky to have a job at all, I'm lucky that I got a 2nd job that will work with my schedule and give me a cool discount on things I actually need, I'm lucky that I am getting healthier and stronger with my weight loss, I'm lucky I have great friends and family, I'm lucky to have a car and a place to live, and I'm so lucky I have the intelligence to know I HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER CAREER PATH! :-)

2 comments:

Margo said...

So sorry your job not treating you well. What do you do?

GRITS said...

Well, I'm SUPPOSED to be the HR Manager, but I'm really a glorified secretary. :-(