7.11.2006

The All-Star Game Comes to the 'Burgh


So, you all know the All-Star game is being played this evening in the most beautiful ballpark in the nation. I feel very fortunate to live in this wonderful city of Pittsburgh and to have been able to partake of some of the activities affiliated with the event. And I know some of you naysayers are fussin' about the traffic and all the people, but I'm excited to see the city bustling and am pleased to report that this morning is the only day I've had any traffic delays (which amounted to spending 10 more minutes on the 16th Street Bridge). Saturday I went to FanFest with my 18-year-old nephew - first we walked the entire Convention Center at least twice to take it all in and then we stood in line for Phil Niekro's autograph and also to have our pictures taken in uniform for a baseball card. We also spent some time manning a booth for The ALS Association, more commonly known as "Lou Gehrig's Disease", which allowed us to get into the event for free as well as volunteer our time for a worthwhile charity. Sunday I went to a free concert in Station Square (I'll talk more about that in a later post) and last night I went to FanFest again with a very good friend of mine. I also sat at August Henry's last night for awhile with friends to watch the Homerun Derby - it was very exciting to see our city so well on display on national TV. My nephew actually got to go to the Homerun Derby - what an experience he'll be able to remember for a long time! And I think my favorite aspect of all the frenzy is the fact that kids were being kids and grown-ups were getting the chance to be kids again as well.

No comments: