9.27.2006

The Steelers


I enjoy watching the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I got to actually attend a game this past Sunday. I never had so much fun, really, even if we did lose. I tailgated with my friend Brandon and his family & friends beforehand, enjoyed at least the 1st half of the game (things started going downhill during the 2nd half), and then tailgated more afterwards, drowning our sorrows from the loss in some good, cold beer. I'm worried about our young quarterback, "Big Ben", and I feel he's a little afraid to play as he used to do with such gusto. Granted, he's suffered from his motorcycle injury and then appendicitis, so I can understand his fear, but I'd like to see Coach Cowher put Charlie Batch in until Ben seems a little more himself. Not that I'm an expert on football, but I'm glad I'm not like the young woman sitting beside me during the game who had to keep asking her boyfriend what EACH play meant. Oh, and then she made him leave during the last 7 minutes of the game, remarking, "nothing can really happen to help them in the last 7 minutes, right?". And he left. Not me - I was there with the other die-hard fans, waiting until the last few seconds when we really threw it away. That is one thing I truly love about this city, the football fans. There is no other city like it, and there are no other fans like Steeler fans (just go to another city and visit a Steeler bar there). So, Sunday was a very good day, even if we had to lose to the Bengals.

2 comments:

Margo said...

My uncle is a die hard Steelers fan. My parents were at the game a couple of weeks ago whent hey were at Jacksonville.

GRITS said...

Oh, that's cool! I find Steelers' fans EVERYWHERE! :-)