11.20.2006

I Figured It Out

I had an epiphany over the weekend as to why single men are so hard to find. For every girl I know who has a serious boyfriend, there is a single guy who is totally in love with her. I know of three or four instances of this phenomenon, and the guys are very aware of the situation, yet they wait in the wings for their big opportunity, for the boyfriend to fail so they can sweep in and save the girl. Meanwhile, these girls are intelligent, successful, beautiful women who also know that these men are on the sidelines awaiting their chance, and they just eat it up. They tell their admirers that they are devoted to their boyfriends, that they are going to be together forever, yet they complain to the admirers when things are going wrong and they rely on these guys to occupy their time when they need company. I'm not being cynical, just realized over the weekend as I watched it happen firsthand that this is an issue. The epiphany occurred shortly after I was talking to one of the guys who plays the part of admirer and listened to him talk about his love non-stop for thirty minutes, and out of the corner of my eye I watched one of the objects of affection lead her admirer away because she needed a ride home. We single girls don't have a chance in this kind of atmosphere because we have no hopes of being placed upon such pedestals and these men are content with holding out for their true loves. So, what are we to do?

1 comment:

Margo said...

aaahhhhh... it all makes perfect sense!